Supporting yourself. It’s not the kind of thing you learn at school. And yet, it’s essential in life. Learning to be indifferent regarding what others would think, learning to be confident. To believe in yourself. Learn to just trust each other! We are not taught all that, and if we don’t have good role models (parents, families, idols…) will tend to put ourselves down. To put ourselves down and to doubt about our value in this world. Today I decided to share my advices and my way of thinking about how to assume your diet.
The holidays are coming, we are going to see some family members that we haven’t seen in a long time, and we have changed. Different looks, hairstyles or diets. Food should not be the most important thing in life (even tho we can live thanks to food…). We tend to make a big deal about food/eating, and eat too much. I don’t know if that makes sense, but what i’m trying to say is that we (humans) are sometimes a little bit too extra. Who needs to eat an entire bag of chips on its own? These are not real needs, but desires and even whims. Anyways ! Today i’m gonna talk about how to assume your diet when you’re with your family and friends.
1. First advice to be fine with your diet : if you don’t want to let them (family/friends) know your diet change (you are now vegan, vegetarian…) than you don’t have to tell them. Even if it’s your family, that does not mean that they must necessarily know your whole life. If you are not yet ready to tell them, don’t tell them. (especially if you care about it and you know they will judge you…).
2. Try to make them understand your points of view : you do what you want, it’s your body, your health and above all, you’re doing it for your wellness. As long as you’re being healthy, there is nothing to question and they don’t have to worry because you don’t follow the traditions.
3. If diet/food is important to you, it’s a very good reason to talk to them and try to change their prejudices about certain topics. By seeing the good that your diet gives you, they can be inspired !
4. Be confident when speaking, you have nothing to lose. Do not think that you are apart and different (which is cool by the way) because of your diet. Take this difference as a force ! If they don’t understand, it does not matter. It’s your life, you decide !
5. Don’t became withdrawn and take everything as an attack. When we’re not confident, everything that people say touch us more. We think we’re being judge, but everyone does not judge you 24/24 ! Everyone has his opinion and his way of thinking. They have the right to not agree with you and vice versa.
6. If someone is teasing you because of your diet, (which is annoying), take it as irony. If it became too recurrent, discuss about it and fix the situation.
7. Finally, my last advice to be fine with your diet would be to not feel the need to justify yourself. You do what you want and if they’re not happy about it…well it’s a pity, and sad for them !
FACTS : Here are some of the benefits of the vegan and vegetarian diet that you can tell to your (annoying) loved ones so they can relax 🙂
Vegans / vegetarians are less likely to have:
- Heart diseases
- Breast cancer
- More energy and healthier hair and nails.
“Supporting” yourself is a subject that interests me more and more because I try to improve myself in different areas that i like. But it’s easier said than done. That’s ok haha.
I’m not perfect at all and I should probably follow more carefully all the advices I give on my blog haha. I have often refused to go out … because I did not want to face the fact that I had a different diet. By fear of not being understood and judged … But as I repeat (often), the most important thing is that I know that I am evolving (growing). It can take sometimes, but I will get there. We will all get there. I hope my article can help and motivate you to finally be fine and okay with your diet and lifestyle.
If you like this article, you can help me by pinning it on Pinterest